Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Weekend Project Two and Three

Fellow blogger Lynn has been tempting me with her wonderful quilts for a while. If I lived closer to her, I'd be taking classes from her and raiding her stash. But a 3 1/2 hour drive isn't my idea of fun. I'd be too tired to sew by the time I got there!
So when she said she was making one of her quilt patterns into a block of the month, I knew I had to sign up. And I did.
Here is the very first block of Lynn's pattern. You should really go look at hers because I've mangled my own. I have to tell you, those are tiny flowers and leaves!
I made my flag a little differently than hers, because after those flower (which are so not where they are suppose to be!) There was no way I was going to attempt Lynn's flag. I just ain't that good.
But because I had fun, I decided to make another block using some of my treasured Robyn Pandolph fabrics. Because why am I saving them?
So here is the same block, my way.
I made these flowers in one piece and embroidered a middle. They started out looking like lemons till I added the pink. I also embroidered the mail box clasp and changed up the whole flag. I just embroidered a vine around the post and omitted the flag.
Side by side. I'm really glad these blocks will never see their parents. If there was a side by side with the original, the world would cease as we know it.

I can't wait to get my next block, even though I had trouble with the (*#@!) flowers and leaves. This will make a beautiful quilt (in my dreams) some day.
Oh Lynn, you are the master and I am but your clumsy, inept student!

Back to work... yes on the raven! He is becoming a thorn in my side. He is not cooperating! I've had to rework his feet twice and he is still without them. It's driving me crazy! But on I must go.

Take care, Brandie

4 comments:

Anita said...

Awww, cute!!

Lynn said...

Brandie I love, love, love your version of the mailbox and your fabric selection. The embroidered vine is absolutely perfect! You are one talented quilter....what do you mean by inept quilter!!! You, my dear are very creative!

M and M plus 3 said...

Brandie, your blocks look so beautiful, by no means are you inept my Dear! Now to go visit your friends blog.

Lori said...

Seriously Brandie, both blocks are lovely! So many details.