Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, August 26, 2011

Tap Taping

Half complete and ready to show himself, introducing "The Raven".
Don't be scared, because all he'll do is utter "Nevermore".
I have re-worked his legs so much, that the fabric behind him is full of holes and looking weak. So I'm just going to be happy with them as they are. Oh why, Oh why did I do something I can't draw!? So don't look at them too close! They seem too small for his body, but I'm ready to give up and move on. I don't want this in my UFO basket!
Imagine coming across this in the dark! That eye is evil! And that raven beak looks sharp.

I did not harm any birds in the making of this wall hanging. Believe it or not, but I bought these feathers to use on a Christmas stocking. I kid you not! I bought them because of that beautiful green glow they get when they are in the right light.
I had just enough leftovers to give the raven a wing and tail. Sinister? Macabre?... Good!
To finish him off I added a tiny piping with some red. Just enough to accent his eye.
Later today I'm going to get him sandwiched and I hope to start the quilting. I am going to try to quilt part of the poem into the background. You know, the poem about Lenore. Can you believe that some people have never heard of the raven , "Tapping, as of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door". My BFF's Hubby didn't and we are never going to let him live it down! Maybe when I'm done with this quilt, I'll gift it to him and make him promise to hang it up in his room. Hehehhehee, My BFF will love me for this!
So there it is. Was it worth waiting for? Probably not, but if you complain or tell me you don't know one of our own famous American poems, I'll have to gift it to you! So no complaining!

Have a great weekend and don't do anything I wouldn't do!
Take care, Brandie

10 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

If a raven can be called stunning, your raven definitely is! Love Mr. Poe...does your raven have a name?

Jean(ie) said...

I love it for all it's embellished wonderfulness!

Monica said...

I think it's fabulous! So much that I want one now!

Sharon said...

This is fabulous, I love all the texture and the piping. Excellent job!

M and M plus 3 said...

OMG, he is wayyyy too cute! Yeah, I know, you were probably going for scarey...

Miriam said...

He is a very handsome Raven!!!
You did a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

I think you have done a wonderful job! VERY creative. And I love the idea of quilting in the words of the poem. My class studied poetry when we were in the 7th or 8th grade and "The Raven" made a big impression on me and I've never forgotten it even though it was nearly 60 years ago!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow that looks great and scary!

Anita said...

Brandie, you constantly surprise me with your scope of this talent. From sweet baskets to sinister ravens. I'm just bowled over by your amazing talent. I wish you did traveling seminars, I'd try to get you out here.

Anonymous said...

I think this is wonderful! And the Poe poem written in the background is a fantastic, creative idea! Well done, Brandie!!!! ...Karen
(I may be mixing posts here.)