Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, August 22, 2011

Faux Mercury Glass

A couple of weeks ago, I made the mistake of going into Pottery Barn. While there I fell in love with their mercury glass. Before this trip I hadn't even had an opinion on mercury glass. Now I love it and want more, but there's a problem, the price. This little votive was $3.99. So I came up with an idea... make my own.So I started with something plain. I bought some silver leaf and adhesive and just dove in.
Made my own votive that only cost me a dollar and a half. There is a slight difference in the color. The real mercury glass is on the left and my faux votive on the right.
But alone they look great. Or maybe I just think so. Not even Hubby likes them. He thinks it looks like cheap dollar store glass. Oh well, I like the look and I think it'll look beautiful at Christmas or Halloween. ( yes, there are a few Halloween decorations up at my house)
I've been working all weekend on 4 different appliqués. I caved and started a pumpkin pillow and put the raven on the back burner. I'm going to finish up something today! That's my promise to myself. So cross your fingers for me.
Now back to work!

Take care, Brandie

5 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

That's the same reason I avoid the PB~ I always find something I love! LOL I think your faux mercury glass looks great~ it will be wonderful for the holidays. :-)

Library Gal Quilts said...

It looks great! I want to do this!

Carrie P. said...

Pretty neat trick.

Anita said...

They look lovely, I like yours better, they're brighter and don't have the slightly gray look of the mercury glass.

debbie m said...

Your silver leaf will tarnish a bit and not be so bright over time. I like it! husbands, pffff.